Sun, Apr 07|
The Principles of Al-Kemi (Beginner)
In this 12-week live course, gain an understanding of the fundamental principles of alchemy, including the transmutation of substances and the spiritual allegories inherent in alchemical texts.
Time & Location
Apr 07, 2024, 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM MDT
About the event
Week 1: Overview of Alchemy
- Introduction to alchemy as a historical and philosophical practice.
- Overview of key figures and texts in alchemical tradition.
- Introduction to alchemy as a transformative practice akin to Gurdjieff's concept of self-transformation through self-awareness and conscious effort.
Week 2: Alchemical Principles
- Introduction to the basic principles of alchemy, including the principle of correspondance, polarity, and rhythm.
- Exploration of the concept of transmutation and the philosopher's stone.
- Exploration of how alchemical principles mirror Gurdjieff's idea of the Law of Three and the Law of Seven governing processes of transformation and development.
Week 3: Alchemical Symbols and Allegories
- Examination of alchemical symbols and their meanings.
- Analysis of alchemical texts and their allegorical interpretations.
- Discussion on the spiritual and psychological significance of alchemical symbolism.
- Discussion on the symbolic language of alchemy and its parallels with Gurdjieff's use of symbols to convey deeper truths and provoke self-reflection.
Week 4: Practical Alchemy
- Introduction to practical alchemical processes, such as distillation, fermentation, and calcination.
- Hands-on exercises and demonstrations to understand the physical aspects of alchemy.
- Application of Gurdjieff's concept of self-observation and self-remembering during practical alchemical exercises to enhance awareness of the process.
Week 5: Transmutation of Substances
- In-depth exploration of the process of transmutation and its historical significance.
- Discussion on the role of metals and minerals in alchemical transmutation.
- Examination of alchemical transmutation as an external manifestation of inner transformation, aligning with Gurdjieff's emphasis on inner change leading to outer change.
Week 6: Spiritual Alchemy
- Introduction to the concept of spiritual alchemy and its relationship to personal transformation.
- Exploration of inner alchemy practices, such as meditation, visualiztion, and inner work.
- Integration of Gurdjieff's principles of self-work and inner transformation with spiritual alchemy practices aimed at awakening higher states of consciousness.
Week 7: Alchemical Laboratory
- Virtual tour of an alchemical laboratory.
- Demonstration of alchemical processes and eqipment used in laboratory practice.
- Utilization of Gurdjieff's methods of practical work in the laboratory setting to cultivate presence and mindfulness during alchemical experiments.
Week 8: Case Studies in Alchemy
- Analysis of historical and modern case studies in alchemy.
- Examination of successful and unsuccessful alchemical experiments and their implications.
- Analysis of historical alchemical case studies through the lens of Gurdjieff's ideas on self-deception, self-observation, adn the struggle for self-awareness.
Week 9: Hermeticism and Alchemy
- Exploration of the connection between Hermeticism and alchemy.
- Discussion on hermetic principles and their influence on alchemical philosophy.
- Exploration of the hermetic principles underlying both alchemy and Gurdjieff's teachings, emphasizing the importance of inner unity and harmony.
Week 10: Alchemical Texts and Traditions
- Study of specific alchemical texts, such as the Emerald Tablet, the works of Paracelsus, and Gurdjieff.
- Examination of different alchemical traditions and their unique perspectives.
- Study of alchemical texts with a focus on deciphering esoteric knowledge and practical wisdom, drawing parallels to Gurdjieff's emphasis on hidden teachings and esoteric practices.
Week 11: Alchemy and Modern Science
- Discussion on the relationship between alchemy and modern science.
- Exploration of areas where alchemical principles intersect with contemporary scientific understanding.
- Examination of the intersection between alchemical principles, Gurdjieff's cosmological ideas, and modern scientific concepts, exploring the potential for synthesis and integration.
Week 12: The Contemporary Alchemist
- Examination of how alchemical principles are applied in modern contexts, such as psychology, art, and literature.
- Discussion on the relavance of alchemy in the 21st century and its potential future developments.
- How to apply Fourth Way principles of conscious labor and intentional suffering to alchemical practices in contemporary contexts, fostering inner growth and realiztion.
- Ticket type
The Principles of AlchemyPrice$60.00
+$1.50 service fee+$1.50 service fee